Are you familiar with ghost touch? In this blog post, I will thoroughly explain what it is and how to fix it.
What Is iPhone Ghost Touch?
When your iPhone starts doing things on its own, this is referred to as iPhone ghost touch. When this occurs, apps may open on their own and the display screen may react to imaginary touches.
This can be extremely annoying especially if it happens when you’re in a rush and you’re trying to do something important.
In some cases, you may have to take your iPhone to Apple to fix this problem. However, there are a number of things you can do that may solve the problem.
Can All iPhones Be Affected?
Yes, ghost touch is something that can affect just about every iPhone that Apple has ever created.
However, this problem is most common on the iPhone X. Back in 2018, Apple stated that it discovered some problems with the display screen of the iPhone X.
Apple also stated that it would provide repairs free of charge to customers that have been affected by this.
How To Fix Ghost Touch On An iPhone:
- Clean the display screen
- Remove the screen protector
- Remove the case from your iPhone
- Install all pending iOS updates
- Restart your iPhone
- Force restart your iPhone
- Erase your iPhone
- Restore your iPhone via iTunes
- Take your iPhone to Apple
Clean The Display Screen:
Cleaning the display screen on your iPhone is a simple but effective way to combat ghost touch.
Cleaning the display screen will remove dust and debris that has the potential to cause problems with the way in which the iPhone responds to your touch.
How To Clean The Display Screen On Your iPhone:
Before cleaning the display screen on your iPhone, you must unplug all cables attached to it and you must turn it off.
Then you should get a soft lint-free cloth and disinfectant. When cleaning your iPhone, Apple has stated that you should not spray the disinfectant directly onto the iPhone.
Instead, it should be sprayed onto the lint-free cloth, and you must wipe it from one end to the other.
While you’re cleaning the display screen you must avoid getting any liquid into the iPhone’s charging port or any other openings.
Apple has also stated that you should not use household cleaners or cleaners which contain hydrogen peroxide or abrasives.
If you do this, you may erode the oil-resistant coating on your iPhone.
Remove The Screen Protector:
Screen protectors provide a layer of protection that may stop the display screen from breaking in the event of an accidental drop.
However, a screen protector has the potential to affect the way the touchscreen works. Thus the reason why you may be able to stop ghost touch by removing it.
A screen protector is a thin layer of laminated tempered glass or plastic that you can place directly on top of your iPhone’s display screen to protect it.
Even though screen protectors provide a great way for you to protect the display screen on your iPhone.
Sometimes they may negatively affect the way the display screen works by causing problems such as ghost touch.
When this happens, you can fix it by removing the screen protector. If the screen protector on your iPhone is made of glass, you must be very careful when removing it.
You should remove the screen protector slowly if it has been broken, but if you’re not comfortable doing this then you may be better off taking it to Apple to have it done.
You can also contact the manufacturer who made the screen protector and ask them what’s the best method for removing the screen protector.
Remove The Case From Your iPhone:
A slightly twisted display screen can cause ghost touch.
If this is the case, you may be able to fix this problem by removing the case from your iPhone.
A hard case can cause the display screen to twist, hopefully, removing the case will fix this problem. However, if you need assistance, Phone Repair Depot can help you to resolve this issue.
Install All Pending iOS Updates:
If your ghost touch problem only occurs when you’re using a specific app, then it may be a problem with the app.
Maybe that app became corrupted due to the implementation of firmware which may have triggered the problem.
If you believe that third-party apps are the ones affected, then you should install updates for those apps.
The app updates contain bug fixes to repair glitches and in-app errors. If your iPhone is still fast and responsive and it has a steady internet connection, you should follow the steps below to install pending app updates.
- On the Home screen, tap App Store to launch the Apple App Store app.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and tap on Updates.
- All apps with pending updates will appear.
- Tap the Update button next to the name of the app you would like to update to individually update your apps.
- If multiple app updates are available, tap the Update All button in the upper-right corner of the display screen.
After following these steps you must wait for your apps to finish updating. Then you should restart your iPhone which will apply the recent software changes.
Restart Your iPhone:
Some iPhone problems can be fixed by restarting the iPhone, this also applies to ghost touch.
This is due to the fact that restarting your iPhone clears the temporary memory which has the potential to clear any glitches that may be causing the ghost touch.
You can follow the directions here to find out how to restart your iPhone.
Force Restart Your iPhone:
You should only force restart your iPhone when it has a serious problem that prevents you from restarting it the way it’s supposed to.
In some cases, ghost touch can be fixed by force restarting your iPhone. However, you should only do this when the problem is extremely severe and you cannot use the iPhone properly.
The great thing about force restart is the fact that it can be done when the iPhone is not working properly.
How To Force Restart Your iPhone:
When you Force Restart your iPhone it will enter Recovery Mode, follow the steps below to Force Restart your iPhone which will enable you to restore your iPhone via the Recovery Mode.
This method will work on iPhone 8 or newer.
- Press and release the Volume Up button.
- Press and release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side button.
- When the Apple logo appears, release the side button.
Follow the steps below to Force Restart the iPhone 7:
- Press and hold the Volume Down button and the Sleep/Wake button.
- When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
Follow the steps below to force restart the iPhone 6 or earlier:
- Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button.
- When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
Erase Your iPhone:
Ghost touch can also be caused by complex system errors. If this is the case, you will be able to fix it by performing a factory reset.
When you perform a factory reset on your iPhone it will erase everything on your iPhone. Before doing this, you must back up all the critical data on your iPhone.
You can back up your data on iTunes or iCloud it’s your decision. After you have backed up your iPhone, you can follow the steps below to perform a factory reset via settings:
- On the Home screen, tap Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Reset.
- Choose the option to Erase all content and settings.
- Enter the passcode to continue.
- Choose the option to confirm full system restore or factory reset.
You also have the ability to use iTunes to manually erase your iPhone and perform a factory reset on a computer.
If you use this method, you can back up the file on your iPhone to your iTunes drive or a designated folder or directory on your computer.
After you have backed up all your personal information, you can start erasing your iPhone via iTunes.
All you have to do is follow the commands on the screen to reset your iPhone via iTunes. After completing this process, you can restore your iPhone from a previous iOS backup or set it up as new.
Restore Your iPhone Via iTunes:
When you repair your iPhone in Recovery Mode it gives iTunes the ability to repair corrupted system data from the most recent iOS update which includes ghost touch.
The chances of major iOS system problems via Recovery Mode are higher. One of the main drawback to doing this is the fact that it affects the data which is stored on your iPhone’s internal storage.
So it’s very important to create backups via iTunes before you restore your iPhone. If you would like to restore your iPhone via Recovery Mode you should follow the steps below.
If you have an iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X or newer you should follow the steps below to enter recovery mode:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes.
- On your iPhone, press and release the Volume Up button.
- Press and release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Power button and continue to hold it when the Apple logo appears.
- When the Recovery Mode screen appears, release the Power button.
- You must connect your computer to your iPhone.
- Open iTunes on your computer.
- Press and hold the Power button and Volume Down button simultaneously.
- Hold down the buttons until the Apple logo appears.
- Then release the buttons when the Recovery mode screen appears.
If you have an iPhone 6s or iPhone 6s Plus, or older iPhone models you should follow the steps below to enter recovery mode:
- Connect your computer to your iPhone and launch iTunes.
- Press and hold the Home and Lock buttons simultaneously.
- When the Apple logo appears, and you see the Recovery Mode screen you can release the buttons.
- Click the appropriate button to Restore your iPhone.
- To complete the process, you should follow the commands onscreen to restore your iPhone in iTunes.
You should wait for the restoration process to be completed then exit recovery mode and disconnect your iPhone from your computer.
You should not disconnect your iPhone from your computer until the process has been completed.
After the process has been completed you can force restart your iPhone to exit recovery mode.
Take Your iPhone To Apple:
If you have tried everything I mentioned above and you’re still having problems with ghost touch, then you should schedule an appointment at an Apple Store.
If you were unable to solve your problems after applying what I mentioned above, there’s a possibility that a hardware issue may be the cause of your ghost touch problem.
You should go to Apple Support to fix this problem.
If you have any comments or questions about this information, please feel free to share them in the comment section below.