The Amazon Fire TV Stick is a plug-n-play, media streaming device. Plugging the device into your TV’s HDMI port effectively converts your normal, standalone TV into a smart TV-allowing you to install apps, stream videos, and listen to music.
However, one of the pre-requisites of operating the Fire TV is to first own a remote to control the TV. Luckily, any Android or Apple device can be converted into a remote for the Amazon Fire TV stick. The following steps illustrate how you can set up your device as a FireStick remote:
How Do You Use the FireStick Remote App
- The first step in using your phone as a FireStick remote is to ensure your phone is connected with the same Wi-Fi as your FireStick. You can verify the Wi-Fi network by simply opening the Settings menu, and then select “Network”.
- Once they’re connected to the same Wi-Fi network, proceed with the following steps:
- Download Fire TV app via the Android Play Store or the Apple App Store.
- Open the downloaded app on your respective Android or Apple device.
- At first, when you open the Fire TV app, a pop-up requesting “Local Network Permission” will be displayed. Click “Sure” to proceed.
- Similarly, a pop-up requesting “Notification Permission” will be displayed. However, enabling or disabling this functionality will not affect the app itself.
- After this, the app should start automatically scanning for any Fire TV device currently connected to your Wi-Fi. Tap the FireStick device that you wish to connect to once it appears on the list.
- Finally, you will see a 4-digit code on your TV screen. Enter this code into the space provided within the app.
- Establishing a connection may take some time. After the connection has been set up, your FireStick will go back to the home screen and your Fire TV app will show you the remote control on your newly connected device.
If the Fire TV app can’t connect to, or find your FireStick, disconnect, and then reconnect both devices from the internet. You may also need to log into your Amazon Account by pressing “Set Up New Device”. To fully utilize the FireStick, it is a no-brainer that you’d want to use all sorts of FireStick apps.
With a vast library encompassing all sorts of apps imaginable, the FireStick library is one of the standout features of the Fire TV itself. Below we’ve listed all the steps on how to browse for different apps using your FireStick.
How To Browse And Install FireStick Apps
- To download apps, first ensure that your FireStick is connected to the internet.
- Open your Fire TV’s home screen.
- Keep on pressing “right” on your remote until you reach the “Apps” section.
- To enter the Apps section, press down on your TV remote.
- Using the directional pad, navigate to an app you’re interested in. To select the app, press the button in the center of the directional pad.
- With the “Get” option selected, press the button in the center of the directional pad to proceed.
- To launch the app, wait for the download or simply return to the Apps section later to use the app at any time.
To aid ease of use, the FireStick app comes with two different kinds of remotes universally. Android users, however, have access to an extra remote, the Mini Remote. Using the steps below, you can easily change the app’s remote to whichever remote you would like to use.
How To Change Your FireStick App’s Remote
- Directional Pad: The default remote, gives you four directional buttons, the button in the center allows you to select or confirm things.
- Swipe Gesture: A remote consisting of a simple, black pad. Swiping on the pad allows you to move the cursor on the Fire TV, whereas tapping allows you to select/confirm.
- Mini Remote: A unique Android-only remote which has a small remote pad that appears on your phone’s lock screen and notification panel.
Each of the three remotes listed above includes separate buttons for instantly accessing the home screen, opening a menu, fast-forwarding and rewinding, playing and pausing, and going back.
Switching between different remotes is an easy task. By opening the remote screen on your Fire TV app and then tapping the gear symbol in the top-left corner, your screen will show you all the different remotes that you can use.
You can use each of the different steps detailed above to better acquaint yourself with the Amazon FireStick.
If you have any comments or questions about any of this information, please feel free to leave them in the comment section below.