The world of technology is a beautiful one, but it’s also a chaotic one that can cause you all sorts of frustrations when you simply can’t figure something out. It also has quite a few seemingly advanced features that, really, aren’t all that advanced in making them work for you. One of those is learning how to send a text from email.
Reasons To Send Text From Email:
- If you misplaced your phone or the battery is dead and you need to send a text to a friend, relative, or colleague immediately. You can opt to send a text from email.
2. Or maybe you just like the convenience of using your email program to send a text, in any case, this is a cool trick that you should learn.
The best part is that it isn’t too difficult to do this.
More Reasons To Send Text From Email:
If you’re thoroughly new age, in that you are used to the world of texting and nothing else, the need to send a text message via something as “ancient” as an email seems strange.
But, there are all sorts of reasons that you may want to use your email to send a text to someone. Some of the highlights include:
- The person you’re trying to reach doesn’t have data on:While traditional text messages are now included in most plans at no charge, data is not. There are still many smartphone users who do not have data access and rely on WiFi spots in order to get access to their email. If that person doesn’t have WiFi, you’ll have to send them a text using traditional SMS technology. In other words, a traditional text. You can do this through an email platform on your end, and it’ll come out as a text on their end.
- You can’t access your phone: Maybe your cell phone is dead, or it’s misplaced, or you just can’t get to it for whatever reason. Sending a text to someone via email is do-able on the computer and it will go directly to their cell phone.
- You know the person will read a text but not an email: Then there’s the fact that there are some people out there who just never read their emails. If that’s the case, sending an email to get to them as a text is going to be the only way that you may be able to get a hold of them anyway!
So, now that you know some of the reasons why text via email is a great idea for your life and the person that you’re trying to contact, let’s take a look at the steps to actually get you there.
How To Send Text From Email:
1. Have the right information: You’ll need the full 10-digit cell phone number of the person that you’re trying to reach. You’ll also need the gateway carrier information (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc).
2. Open your email program: On your computer or smartphone, open the email program that you use and type in the following: firstname.lastname@example.org. Each domain will have a different ending to use. Some are “message”, some are “sms”, some are “messaging”, etc. So, make sure that you have the right ending for the carrier that you are trying to reach.
3. Write the message: Write a short (under 160 characters) message in the subject line and/or email body and send it off to the person using the “Send” button like you would a normal email.
The method above will only work for cell phone numbers in USA and Canada. You can look up the gateway carrier information from either of the sites listed below.
Learning how to send a text from email isn’t hard to do, but it’s important that you have the right information available before you try to do it, and that you are relying on the right gateway ending.
Some Helpful Tips:
If you are going to be contacting people by text (through email) regularly. You should consider using a different method that the one listed above to make the process easier.
Send Your Email to SMS:
For example, if you’re a Gmail user, there’s a Google Chrome extension called Send Your Email to SMS (text) which will give you the ability to send text from your email.
This browser extension will automatically format the text for you so that it will come across to the recipient properly coded. It will also make sure that you’ve got all of the right information, including the phone number and gateway information needed.
Gmail is also great at making sure that their reply comes back to you properly formatted and coded (in other words, it looks like the sender wanted it to) and it also comes back to your email instead of sending it to your phone.
If you’re an avid Gmail user, make sure that you sync your contacts with your phone and Gmail so that you can get the most up to date information on your provider in question as well as your own needs for sending an email.
This will streamline the process, which is especially helpful if you are someone who plans on sending lots of email-to-text.
With all of that in mind — and verified by a helper such as Gmail — you’ll be able to get that message off to the person on the other end with no problems, failures or issues.
This Chrome extension will give you the ability to send ten text messages for free every month.
However, if you would like to send more than that, there is an option to upgrade to an unlimited plan for $55 per month.
This Google Chrome extension can be downloaded at the Chrome Web Store
How To Use Send Your Email to SMS:
- Log into your Gmail account in your browser. Upon installing the extension you will notice that it has added a phone icon to your email window.
2. Click on Compose to open the window for a new message.
3. Click on the phone icon at the bottom left corner next to the Send Now button.
4. Then put in the number you would like to text.
5. Type your text message and send it.
The great thing about using this extension is that you do not have to locate the carrier code. The extension will automatically do it for you.
Use GlobFone To Send Text:
GlobFone is a website you can use which gives you the ability to send text messages for free.
With GlobFone there’s only an SMS option, so you do not have the ability to send photos.
How To Use GlobFone To Send A Text:
- Select the country of the recipient.
2. Put in the number of the person you would like to text.
3. Click on next.
4. Type your text message.
5. Click on next to send it.
When you send a text, the site has a status check which will notify you that the message was delivered.
Your text message will be received within a few seconds. However, the receiver does not have the ability to reply to it.
Go to the GlobFone website to send a text.
Use MightyText To Send Text:
MightyText is an app for sending SMS (text) messages from your computer. This is a browser option. MightyText gives you the ability to synchronize your notifications with your videos, photos, and all the desktop browsers.
It’s free to use this service for up to 500 text messages per month. But if you would like to send more than that, it will cost you $5.00 per month.
Go to the MightyText website to download the app.
Sometimes technology is complex, but many times it really is as simple as having the right information at your fingertips when you need it.
If you believe that it’s too time-consuming to text on your phone. You should consider using one of the methods above to send text messages from your laptop or desktop computer.
Now you know how to send a text from email, if you have any comments or questions about the information provided here, please feel free to share them in the comment section below.