In this blog post, I will tell you how to restart an iPhone and how to perform a hard reset on an iPhone. The instructions provided here will apply to all iPhones, makes no difference whether it’s old or new.
iPhones have been around for a long time, Apple has managed to keep people interested in the iPhone by reinventing it.
An iPhone is a powerful computer that fits comfortably in your hands, a powerful computer that’s always with you.
An iPhone works in a similar manner to a laptop or desktop computer. Sometimes certain problems may arise that will require you to restart your iPhone or reset it to fix the problems.
To restart an iPhone is a simple process, you turn the iPhone off, then turn it back on.
However, if the iPhone does not respond when you press the power button, then you may have to reset it.
Neither process will delete any of your data or settings on your iPhone.
Neither process should be confused with a factory reset, which will essentially erase all the data on the iPhone and return it to the factory condition, then you will have to restore your data from a backup.
Now I will explain how to restart an iPhone, the directions will vary depending on the model of iPhone that you’re trying to restart.
How To Restart An iPhone: iPhone 8, X, XS, And XR:
You’re probably asking yourself, why would I want to restart my iPhone? You can restart your iPhone to solve some basic problems.
For example, if you’re using your iPhone and an app crashes you can fix it if you restart your iPhone.
Or if you have a poor Wi-Fi signal you can also fix it if you restart your iPhone, there are other issues that can also be fixed by restarting.
On the iPhone models that I mentioned above, Apple has assigned some new functions to the Sleep/Wake button on the side of them.
This button can be used to activate the Emergency SOS feature, activate Siri and more. As a result of this, the restart process is different from that of the earlier iPhone models.
Restart The iPhone Models Mentioned Above:
- Hold the Volume Down and the Sleep/Wake buttons down at the same time. The Volume Up button works as well, however, you may accidentally take a screenshot if you use it.
2. You must wait until the slide to power off slider appears.
3. Then move the slider from the left to the right side to turn off the phone.
Restart Other iPhone Models:
The process to restart most of the other iPhone models is exactly the same as turning the iPhone on and off. This is what you should do:
- Hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the power off slider appears on the display screen. On the newer iPhone models and the iPhone 6 series, it’s on the right side. On the older models, it’s at the top of the phone.
2. When the power off slider appears, release the Sleep/Wake button.
3. Then move the power off slider from left to right. This will shut down the iPhone. A spinner will appear on the display screen to let you know that the shutdown process has begun. It may be hard to see because the display screen gets dim, however, it’s there.
4. After the phone shuts off, hold down the Sleep/Wake button again until you see the Apple logo on the display screen. When the logo appears, that means that the phone is starting up. At this time, you can release the button and allow the startup process to finish.
How To Hard Reset An iPhone, iPhone 8, X, XS, And XR:
The basic restart I mentioned earlier will solve many problems. However, it will not solve all the problems.
For example, if the iPhone crashes it will not respond when you press the Sleep/Wake button. Therefore, you must use a more powerful solution called a hard reset.
Performing a hard reset on the iPhone 8, iPhone X, iPhone XS, or iPhone XR is extremely different than that of the other iPhone models.
To perform a hard reset on these models, you should follow the steps below:
- Press and release the Volume Up button on the left side of the phone.
2. Press and release the Volume Down button.
3. Then hold down the Sleep/Wake button on the right side of the phone until the slide to power off slider appears on the display screen. You must move the slider from left to right to reset the phone.
How To Do A Hard Reset On Other iPhone Models:
When you do a hard reset, it restarts the phone and it refreshes the memory that the apps use.
This process will not delete any of your data, however, it helps the iPhone to start over from scratch.
- If your iPhone is an older model with the exception of the iPhone 7, you should follow the steps below to perform a hard reset:
2. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button which is located at the bottom of the display screen at the same time.
3. When the power off slider appears, you should continue to hold the buttons. Keep holding them until the display screen turns black.
4. The Apple logo should appear shortly after.
5. When you see the Apple logo, this means that the phone is resetting, you can release the buttons at this time.
How To Do A Hard Reset On The iPhone 7:
Performing a hard reset on the iPhone 7 series is slightly different. That’s due to the fact that the Home button is no longer a physical button.
It’s a virtual button which provides haptic feedback when you press it. The virtual button has a different look and feel to it than that of a physical button.
As a result of this, Apple decided to change the way in which these models are reset.
To perform a hard reset on the iPhone 7 series, you should do the following:
Hold down the Volume Down button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.
Applicable iPhone Models:
The restart and hard reset instructions in this blog post will work on the following iPhone models:
iPhone XR, iPhone XS series, iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPhone.
If you’re having a problem with your iPhone, hopefully, you were able to fix it by restarting it, or performing a hard reset.
However, if the problem still persists, you should strongly consider performing a factory reset to restore the iPhone to its factory settings.
Doing this will completely erase all your personal data from your iPhone and you will be essentially starting over from scratch.
Sometimes this is the only way to solve the problem. It’s important to know how to restart an iPhone and how to factory reset it as well.
Now You Know How To Restart An iPhone:
Now you know how to restart an iPhone, if you have any comments or questions about any of this information, please feel free to share them in the comment section below.