In this blog post, I will explain the best methods on how to connect your iPhone to your TV. Even with the development of technology as much has it has, there is still a need for (and love of) a TV in your life.
However, since there are so many streaming services online, the traditional cable or satellite package don’t have the same holding power that they once did. More and more people have been streaming through their devices, and this can often lead you to try to figure out how to connect your iPhone to your TV.
It is a task that shouldn’t be hard, but is often given the impression of being more difficult than it needs to be. I’m going to show you that it’s 100% possible and not nearly as difficult as you may think.
Why Should You Connect Your iPhone To Your TV?
If you are someone that doesn’t spend much time using TV for viewing programs, it might not be totally clear as to why you would want to know how to connect your iPhone to your TV.
The thing is, it’s helpful for so many reasons. Firstly, you can share photos with friends and loved when they come over. You can also watch their videos and see their photos if they’ve got lots of them on their phone that they want to show you.
Additionally, your TV makes a great mood setter, so don’t be afraid to put together a slideshow with your favorite photos and allow it to slide through via your phone connection to the TV during a dinner party.
Simply put, knowing how to connect your iPhone to your TV is a great idea for reasons other than simply watching Netflix or Hulu.
It’s great for any and all social interaction, and you deserve to rely on the best pieces of equipment (and easiest process) to get you in control of your technology. So, let’s take a look.
There are two main ways in which you can connect your iPhone to the TV. One is a physical connection and the other is a virtual connection.
The choice between the two is entirely a personal one. If you have an older style iPhone, it might be preferred to go with a physical connection, especially if you don’t do the normal iOS updates in software.
However, if you want to be able to use your phone from anywhere in the room while still displaying it, the virtual connection will be the better option for you.
How To Connect Your iPhone To Your TV:
If you choose to go the physical method, you’ll need to get an adaptor that uses your phone’s charging port to connect to the TV’s AV cord/cable, or HDMI if it’s a newer model.
This should be purchased from a trustworthy retailer. It may be easier to find a cheaper option when you go with an off-brand, but the wrong cord will just be a waste of money, since the inferior cord may not be able to transfer the video or photo to the TV screen itself.
If you want to rely on the cord for some serious viewing or watching, go with the good one. Once you get the cord, follow these steps:
- Connect the cord adapter to the Lightning AV adapter or HDMI cord end. Then connect it to the phone via the charging cable.
- Turn on the phone and make sure the cords are all connected properly (ie: one isn’t loose or wiggling from a bad connection).
- Change the input on the TV to select Lightning AV adapter or HDMI 2. This will pop your phone’s screen up onto the TV screen.
- Don’t see anything? Check to make sure that the HDMI or Lightning AV cable is showing the right one (1 vs 2 or 3, for example), and then double-check the cords. Since it’s a physical connection, there should be no configuration or software that needs to be installed. It’s just a true plug and play.
- You can also charge your phone while it’s connected to the TV if you use the additional Lightning port for power.
How To Virtually Connect Your iPhone To Your TV:
When you want to be able to have your phone in your hand as it displays on the TV, you’ll want to consider the virtual method instead of the physical one.
The only one to work with an iPhone (due to Apple’s proprietary software) is an Apple TV. This is an adaptor, essentially, that plugs into your TV and communicates with your iPhone to display its screen on the TV itself when you activate it. Here’s how it works:
- Purchase the Apple TV and make sure that you connect it as instructed to the TV itself.
- On your iPhone, swipe up and selected “Screen Mirroring” and then select “Apple TV”. If you have more than one in a household, you’ll want to make sure that you are selecting the right one!
- The screen should be mirrored on the TV just like it would be with a physical connection. When you’re done, you can turn off the Apple TV, or simply remove the mirroring from the phone itself.
- A note to remember is that this method often requires the newest version of iOS and due to this, only capable of working with newer model iPhones. You’ll also want to make sure that you are selecting the right Apple TV generation for your iPhone, even though they are pretty streamlined to make sure that you don’t end up with the wrong one.
The key to learning how to connect your iPhone to your TV is in making sure that you choose the method that works for you.
Some people want the newest technologies with all of the conveniences that they bring. These people would probably find that Apple TV is going to be the right method.
While there are other people who will prefer the ease of access and simple function of using a basic AV or HDMI cable.
Those will prefer the physical method. Regardless of what method you do decide to use, connecting your iPhone to your TV is not going to be a complicated process. Just make sure that you follow the steps above and you’ll be watching a slideshow or Netflix in no time at all.
Now You Know How To Connect Your iPhone To Your TV:
Now you know how to connect your iPhone to your TV. If you have any comments or questions about any of this information, please feel free to share them in the comment section below.