Are you familiar with 3 way calling? Do you know how to make a 3 way call / conference call? If you answered no to any of these questions in this brief blog post, I will tell you how to 3 way call on an iPhone and Android.
What Is 3 Way Calling?
A 3 way call is also known as a conference call, this is a feature that gives you the ability to talk to 2 people at the same time on your smartphone.
Will Any Additional Charges Occur For A 3 Way Call?
This will vary depending on your carrier. But in general, if you do not have a plan with unlimited minutes, then airtime and other charges may apply for all 3 way calls until one call has ended.
How To Make A 3 Way Call / Conference Call:
I will give you a general guideline on how to make a 3 way call. However, this process will vary from one smartphone to the other.
But you should follow the steps here and if it doesn’t work for you then you can refer to your smartphone’s user guide for more information.
How To 3 Way Call / Conference Call On iPhone:
- Make a normal phone call and wait for the person to answer.
- Then tap add call, and call the second person. The original call will be placed on hold.
- When the second person answers, tap Merge Calls. This will start the 3-way call.
- You can repeat steps 2 and 3 to add more people if you want to. You can merge as many as 5 calls but this depends on your carrier.
- You can speak privately or hang up with 1 caller:
- To Speak privately, tap the Conference icon, then tap Private next to the caller.
- To hang up with 1 person, tap the Conference icon then choose the red phone icon next to the call you want to drop.
- Then tap End Call.
- Finally, hang up to end the call.
How To 3 Way Call / Conference Call On Android:
- Make a phone call and wait for the person to answer.
- Then tap the Menu icon.
- Tap Add Call.
- Enter the phone number or find the person that you would like to add to the call, then call them. Be aware that when the second person answers, the original call will be placed on hold.
- Then tap the Menu icon.
- You can either swap between 2 calls or merge all the calls into a 3 way call.
- Tap Swap to switch between the 2 calls.
- Tap Merge to start the 3 way call. When you successfully merge the 2 calls into a 3 way call, your screen will show 2 blue heads together on 1 screen.
- To end the call for both callers, open the Menu and tap End Call or just hang up.
Common Questions That You May Have:
When talking on a 3 way call, how do you end one call while continuing with the other?
To end 1 or two calls, you can simply ask them to hang up.
Can a call waiting be turned into a 3 way call?
No, however, you can speak to the second caller by simply tapping the Call icon. Tap the Call icon or Swap / Switch icon to switch between the 2 calls.
What happens if someone else calls while you’re on a 3 way call?
If you’re on a 3 way call and someone calls you, the person will be immediately forwarded to your voicemail or they will hear a busy signal. But if you have activated call forwarding, then the call will be forwarded immediately.
Now you know how to 3 way call on iPhone and Android. If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to share them in the comment section below.